Other Names and Spellings:
History of the Chutor
Little is known about Chutor Balitski. It was founded on leased land. Mertens notes that it was a part of the Bergdorf parish [Mertens, p. 262], but [Glückstal-2004, p. 129] states that the Odessa Kalender [OdKal] did not have it listed in the Bergdorf parish.
The chutor does not appear maps until 1910 [with 1891 data] as Badełowa [Vlasenko, 47-47]. Later it shows up as "Saratow" on a 1941 Red Army map [Retromap-1940-14194016] However, in EWZ records of the same time period, the location is also called Frunsowka [BSGR, www.blackseagr.org....mybirthplace=Frunsowka]. Mertens states it may have also been called Frunse, but no other sources have been found to verify this.
The earliest date mentioned for a birth/baptism in Chutor Balitski (Saratow) is 1888. The GCRA Points-of-Origin [Glückstal-2021] notes births/baptisms for the following surnames and years: Benz (1888), Rau (1903), Reiker (1905), Rohrbach (1903, 1905, 1907), and Krein (1915).
The EWZ files in the Black Sea German Research [BSGR] database echo the Points-of-Origin and also link the families to other Glückstal colonies:
Surname Colonies mentioned in EWZ records in addition to Frunsowka
Page last updated 16 March 2022